What can't I teach without?

by Rebecca Bates,
Lead Teacher of Modern Languages


Time and again, I am reminded of the value of mini whiteboards in my teaching.

It sounds so simple and yet, I underestimate this resource at my peril.

In this age of progress first, and feedback a close second, my classes could fill up their exercise books by Christmas. Apart from adding time on to my marking, this means that the exercise books cannot become an easy to use revision resource as they are choked with practice activities. To this end, I use mini whiteboards wherever possible so that students can deepen their knowledge and improve their skills without using up reams of paper! Such activities include…

·         vocabulary tests. Using mini whiteboards for planned tests reduces printing costs (and wasted paper). I also use whiteboards for impromptu tests based on classes’ understanding.

·         quick reading and listening comprehension activities. I display the questions on the board (again, no printing costs) and students answer on whiteboards. A self-assessment in purple pen is enough demonstration of progress.

·         the new specification focuses the students on improvising language, and not rote learning. The skills-based study means that we use a lot of pair and group work. Students use whiteboards to make (greatly reduced) and to aid discussion.

·         Mini whiteboards have always been fantastic for AfL – quizzes, comprehension tests, whole class feedback… I love using whiteboards to practise translation: students race to hold up the correct answer and I get to see the understanding of the class in a glance.

Mini whiteboards: an MFL essential and available from all good retailers!

Comments